I’m constantly asked about supplements, and so I thought if I could only choose a handful, what would be my top 3 supplements for men
Honestly I could spend a small fortune every month buying a ton of supplements.
Its a great question and one that got me thinking, thus this blog post.
If truth be told, an all round healthy diet ‘should’ be all we require, but with all the chemicals in our food, water and air, topping up your defences isn’t a bad thing at all.
Protein supplement aka protein shake.
I’ve smashed down protein shakes for over 30 years, its a supplement I have a LOT of experience with,
However, more than just a bodybuilders necessity, protein is my number 1 supplement for the following reasons:
- Your body needs protein for cell growth, repair and maintenance.
- Proteins are used for a number of metabolic processes like digestion, hormone production and muscle growth
- As we age we process protein less effeciently, thus require more to maintain muscle mass and strength
- Protein keeps you satieted or full longer thus helping with weight control/loss
- Protein is found everywhere in your body. Your muscles, skin, hair, bones and blood are largely made of protein.
Ideally, you should get your required amount of protein from your meals throughout the day, if however you are balancing a busy work, family, and social life, protein shakes are a great alternative, for a fraction of the cost all while being super simple to make.
Read my post on vegan protein here. it also includes a few recipes with macro breakdown.
As for the recommended amount of protein, this will vary from 0.5g per kg of bodyweight upto 1.5g per kg of bodyweight (age and training dependent)
Sources of lean protein include:
- Skinless, white-meat poultry
- Lean beef (including tenderloin, sirloin, eye of round)
- Skim or low-fat yogurt
- Fat-free or low-fat cheese
So that’s 1 of the top 3 supplements for men!
Protein, not just for bodybuilders
Completely random video, but anyone whose been a ‘bodybuilder’ will find this amusing.
Vitamin D the sun supplement
The benefits of vitamin D mean it has to come in at number 2.
An interesting fact: It is a bit of a misnomer to label it a vitamin because it acts more like a hormone in the body
Some of the benefits this hormone/vitamin provides are:
- Stronger bones as Vitamin D promotes absorption of calcium in your gut.
- Influential in strengthening muscles
- Vitamin D supports the immune system by fighting off viruses and bacteria
- Vitamin D can help treat hypertension according to a review published in the journal Current Protein & Peptide Science
- Vitamin D can help battle depression
The best part about vitamin D is you can get it for free!
10-15 minutes of sun exposure a day gives you all the vitamin you need.
But if like me, you live in the northern hemisphere, you can go an entire winter and barely see sunlight, add to that the hazing of the sun thanks to chemtrails, and supplementation is a necessity!
FREE Vitamin D, check out this video by Dr Eric Berg,
So that is spot 1 and 2 taken.
For the third supplement it really is a tough choice, there are so many that came close, but ultimately my choice is……
Zinc fits in nicely with the protein and Vitamin D
Zinc is a mineral essential to the function of the human body.
it’s found in every cell, as it’s necessary for replicating all the cell’s genetic material
It’s involved in the production of at least 300 enzymes and lends a hand in hundreds of body processes, from wound healing to digestion.
Zinc plays a pivotal role in mens health too, 11 milligrams per day is recommended due to zinc’s role in maintaining prostate health, testosterone levels and overall sexual health.
Testosterone levels are declining
Yes, you read that right, testosterone levels in men have been declining by 1% a year!!!
This means that, for example, a 65-year-old man in 2002 would have testosterone levels 15 percent lower than those of a 65-year-old in 1987.
The drop in mens testosterone levels is discussed here, needless to say environmental factors like food, air, water pollutants, chemicals are all part of the problem, along with the rise in obesity and the foods people consume (GMO anyone!!!)
Anyway I digress, so what are the main benefits of zinc supplementation:
- Boosts Sexual Health and Testosterone Levels
- Reduces Risk of Prostate Cancer
- Boosts your immune system
- Zinc is a key mineral that helps produce thyroid-releasing hormones (another factor in testosterone production)
- Zinc plays a role in cell building and repair
If you’re interested in naturally boosting your testosterone levels check out this post
Were these in your top 3?
Some close runner ups would be:
- Horny Goatweed
- Vitamin C
If you could add another 2 what would they be and why?